Global Gateway
University of Georgia

J-1 Work Authorization


International Students in J-1 status, and their dependents in J-2 status, are eligible for certain Employment Benefits in the U.S.  The processes for applying for work permission are different for the J-1 and J-2 visa holders, however.  The J-1 applies for work permission to the International Student, Scholar, and Immigration Services Office at UGA, while the J-2 dependent must apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office of the U.S. government.

 J-1 students have two types of work authorization options:

  • On-campus work (paid by UGA)
  • Off-campus work, called "Academic Training", which is paid by an external employer.

 In both these types of work, the J-1 student must have prior written authorization to work from the Immigration Services office at UGA.


Please see the information sheets, and application requests, to the left.

Last modified on Friday, 19 February 2016 13:51