Global Gateway
University of Georgia

Amending or Extending Your Student Immigration Status

Click on the links below to apply for an F or J program amendment or extension from your IS immigration advisor.


Students in F-1 or J-1 student status, and their F-2 and J-2 dependents, may be able to receive an amendment to, or an extension of, their immigration status, if something changes about the academic program, or more time is needed to complete the academic program.

For an amendment, the student must document the changes that will occur.

For an extension, the student must have a valid, compelling academic reason for needing more time to complete the program, and this reason or reasons must be confirmed by the academic department or supervising faculty member.  The student must submit new proof of adequate funding to the immigration advisor in the Immigration Services office at UGA in order to receive an immigration program extension.  If approved, your immigration advisor at UGA will issue a new DS-2019 form, or I-20 form, with a new program end date. 

Note that this DOES NOT give you a new F-1 or J-1 "visa" in your passport.  If you depart the U.S after receiving an immigration program extension, and your previous F or J visa has expired, you will need to apply for and receive a new visa before returning to the United States.



Amending or Extending your Scholar, Faculty or Staff Immigration Status

If you are an international employee or invited researcher at The University of Georgia (J-1 scholar or proefessor, H-1B , TN or O-1 employee) and you wish to extend your stay in the U.S. and at UGA, you will need to first confirm with your hiring or sponsoring department that they wish to have you stay or continue to be employed. 
The hiring authority should then contact IS at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or at 706 542-2900, to request an extension of your immigration status.
Last modified on Friday, 12 February 2016 14:57