Global Gateway
University of Georgia

Currently Enrolled International Students

Immigration advisors in the Immigration Services office can offer important and timely advice to international students studying at UGA. Please see the links to the left for important information and request forms pertaining to your student status in the U.S. If you do not find the answers or resources you need here, do not hesitate to contact our office.  Our advisors are here to assist you with maintaining a legal status. We strongly encourage you to speak with us regarding any concerns or questions you may have.

Maintaining Status: Important Points

Maintain Full-time Enrollment

Full time international students at the University of Georgia are required to be enrolled 12 credit hours for undergraduate students or 9 credit hours for graduate students. You are not allowed to drop below full course of study without prior authorization from an Immigration Servies International student advisor, and only under very limited circumstances. You will need to request permission to under enroll by completing and submitting an under-enrollment form.

Make Normal Progress Toward Completion of Your Degree or Academic Program

You must complete your degree requirements within the normally allowed time-frame, as indicated on your immigration form (I-20 or DS-2019).

Abide by Employment Regulations

International students may work no more than 20 hours per week on-campus while school is in session. These 20 hours include the work you do for your assistantship if you have one. You are not permitted to work off-campus without receiving prior authorization. For more information regarding employment as an international student, please click here.

Inform our Office of Changes to Academic Program PRIOR to Implementing any Changes

Students must obtain a new Form I-20 before changing their academic program from one degree level to another (e.g., from Bachelor's to Master's level) or one major/field of study to another (e.g., from Chemical Engineering to Physics). International students must receive a new I-20 or DS-2019 from our office before beginning the new program/degree level.

Apply for an Extension of Program

You must apply for an extension of your program prior to the expiration date on your Form I-20 or DS-2019 if you cannot complete your program by that date. Requests for extensions should be submitted prior to the expiration date of the Form I-20 or DS-2019 so the extension process can be completed prior to the expiration date on the document F-1 or J-1. Students must complete and submit the request for an extension to our office.

Change of address

If you change your living address, you must inform this office. To do this, you will need to log into your Athena account and change your address immediately. Once this is done, the Athena system will notify our office and we will update your record in SEVIS.

I need information about:

Last modified on Monday, 31 October 2016 16:12