Global Gateway
University of Georgia

J-2 Dependent Family Members

Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 years may accompany a J-1 exchange visitor to the U.S. by applying for and receiving a J-2 visa. Unmarried partners may apply for and receive a B-2 tourist visa.

Family members in J-2 status may study in the U.S. without changing status to a valid student visa. The U.S. government may change this allowance, so it is generally recommended that J-2's change to an appropriate student visa type -- either F-1 or J-1 - if they are studying at the post-secondary level in the U.S.

J-2 holders may also apply for a temporary work card, and seek employment in the U.S. Please click on the links below for more information.

J-2 Dependent Family Members

Last modified on Thursday, 15 June 2017 12:05