Global Gateway
University of Georgia

H-4 Dependent Family Member

Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 years may accompany an H-1B temporary worker to the U.S. by applying for and receiving H-4 dependent visas. Unmarried partners may apply for and receive a B-2 tourist visa.

Family members in H-4 status may attend secondary school and College or University in H-4 status, but they may not accept any employment, unless the H-1B is well along in the green card process. It is generally recommended that H-4 dependents attending College or University in the U.S. apply for and receive changes of immigration status to an appropriate U.S. student visa status - either F-1 or J-1. This will give the student the legal ability to accept certain employment benefits.

Please click on the links below for more helpful information.

Last modified on Tuesday, 18 October 2016 15:37