Global Gateway
University of Georgia

H-1B Employment Completion

If you are employed at UGA in H-1B temporary worker status and your employment at UGA is ending, there are some things you should know about your legal status in the U.S.

Your employment end date at UGA is effectively the end of your legal ability to remain in the U.S., *unless* one of the following is true:

  1. You have received an employment offer at another U.S. company or school, and they have filed a new H-1B petition on your behalf. This is called an H-1B "portability" application, and in general, you can begin to work at the new employer once the new petition is properly filed. In many cases you do not have to wait until the new petition is approved.
  2. You have filed a change of status application with the U.S. government to change your status to a new immigration category.

If your employment is ending in advance of the H-1B petition end date (the date shown on your I-94 card), and your employment is being terminated at the behest of your employer, your employer must offer to pay your airfare back to your home country.

You should be sure to contact an immigration attorney to discuss your options if your employment at UGA, and your H-1B status, is ending. Our office would be happy to refer you to an immigration attorney should you wish to hire one.

Last modified on Monday, 04 May 2015 18:36