International Student Work Authorization

International students who are maintaining lawful student immigration status in the U.S., and who are maintaining normal progress toward their degree completion are eligible for certain employment benefits in the U.S.

Definition of Employment
"Employment" is any work performed or services provided (including self-employment) in exchange for money or other benefits or compensation (i.e. free room and board in exchange for babysitting).

Types of Employment Authorization
F-1 Students:
For F-1 students, the main types of employment authorization include
* On-campus employment (hired and paid by UGA)
* Curricular Practical Training (CPT): This is generally internship training required by your degree program, or by a course you are taking.  
* Pre-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT): This is training used either before you graduate, over summer breaks, or part-time during enrolled terms, and must be directly related to your program of study. 
* Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT):  This is training used after you graduate and must be related to our program of study.
* Economic Hardship Employment: Please contact an advisor for more information regarding this sort of authorization.

J-1 Students:
For J-1 students, the main types of employment authorization include:
* On-campus employment (hired and paid by UGA)
* Academic Training: This is an internship or work related to your degree or non-degree program of study.

Click on either the  J-1 or F-1 Work Authorization Information link to the left to access more information regarding employment options.

Employer Reporting Requirement
ALL students on Post-Completion OPT MUST report their employer information to UGA.  Please click on the link to the left "Report my OPT Employment" to do so.  Failure to report your employer information can result in a loss of legal status.

Social Security
If you need to obtain a Social Security Letter, you may request a letter from our office to assist you with this.  Please see the information sheet and request form to the left.  You will also find a link for information regarding taxes for international students.