TN, O-1 and E-3 Scholars, Faculty and Staff

Other Academic Immigration Statuses

In addition to the H-1B temporary worker status, and the J-1 exchange visitor status, there are several other immigration statuses that can be used to bring qualified non-U.S. citizens to UGA for research, teaching, or other work opportunities.


TN, or "Trade NAFTA":

The TN status is available to Canadian or Mexican nationals working in specific jobs.  A list of the approved jobs can be found here:

NAFTA List of Jobs



The E-3 status is similar to the H-1B status, and is available to Australian nationals.  It does not generally require an application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigrtaion Services, and so is sometimes faster than the H-1B.  It usually does require the employee to apply for and receive the E-3 visa from a U.S. embassy.



The O-1 status is available for people who are considered "outstanding" in their field of research or teaching.  It is a difficult standard to achieve, and requires hard evidence of the employee's outstanding ability in several different categories of proof. Information on the O-1 required categories of evidence can be found here:

USCIS O-1 Information

Click on the links to the left for more information specific to these statuses.  In order to be sponsored by UGA for one of these work visa types, you must have a confirmed job offer.  Please have your sponsoring department contact the ISSIS immigration advisor at