Global Gateway
University of Georgia

H-1B Types of Applications

An employer can sponsor an international for several different types of H-1B petitions:

  1. Initial sponsorship: The employee is outside the U.S., and will apply for the H-1B visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy once the employer's petition is approved
  2. Change of Immigration Status: The employee is currently inside the U.S. in a different visa status, and must apply for a change of immigration status in order to begin, or continue, employment at UGA.
  3. Extension of Status: The employee already works at UGA in H-1B status, and requires an extension of stay application in order to continue to work at UGA.
  4. Portability application: The employee already holds H-1B status in the U.S. for a different employer, and must transfer that H-1B status to UGA in order to begin to work here.
  5. Amendment application: The employee already holds H-1B status at UGA, but will be changing jobs and must file an amended H-1B petition prior to accepting these changes in employment.

To begin an H-1B Sponsorship, please click here.

Premium Processing of H-1B Petitions:

Each of the above petition types can be filed for regular processing or for "premium processing" from the U.S government. From the time our office files the I-129 application with the government, regular government processing can take two to five months; premium processing guarantees a response (though not an approval) in 15 days. Regular processing costs $325.00, while premium processing requires an additional government fee of $1,225. Note that these government processing times are in addition to the internal processing times, which can range from 1 to 4 months, depending on Dept. of Labor delays.

Last modified on Monday, 31 October 2016 16:18