• How do I find about about study abroad programs?

    We would suggest you visit our Resource Library in room 113 of the International Education building at 1324 S. Lumpkin Street. In our library we have brochures of UGA study abroad programs, as well as brochures from many non-UGA programs, a catalog of study abroad programs in the University System of Georgia, as well as a large book that lists study abroad programs from across the country, videos and a computer for searching the web. To receive an introduction to the library and to study abroad, we also recommend that you attend an Options Abroad Session. Also, don't miss our yearly Study Abroad Fair in the fall. Another way to find out about new UGA study abroad programs and other information related study abroad is to subscribe to SISA-L, the listserv for Students Interested in Study Abroad.

  • Can I go on a study abroad program through another university?

    Yes you can. To do this you will have to transfer credit back to UGA. Please visit Transferring Study Abroad Credit back to UGA.

  • Does my study abroad program need to be from an acrredited college or university?

    If you want to transfer credit back to UGA, you will normally need to receive a transcript from an accredited college or university (in the U.S. or abroad). Please speak with a study abroad advisor if you are unsure about the accreditation of your program, or if you would like to go on an unaccredited program. There are a few exceptions to this rule. Also, please note that if you fail to receive transfer credit for your program, you may be asked to return your financial aid or HOPE Scholarship.

  • Are there any less expensive study abroad programs?

    Certainly some study abroad programs cost more than others. The least expensive type of program is the exchange program, because you just pay UGA tuition, then housing, meals and other living expenses abroad. The following information will be useful to you in comparing costs: Program Type/Duration Duration Approximate Total Cost* Per Day Cost** UGA Exchange Programs (academic year) 8-11 months $7,509-$12,945 $43.66-$47.42 UGA Exchange Programs (one semester) 4-5 months $4,180-$6,898 $61.46-$65.08 UGA Semester Study Abroad Programs 9 1/2 - 13 weeks $7,500-$9,195 $72.82-$116.04 UGA Maymester and Summer Study Abroad Programs 2 1/2 - 9 1/2 weeks $2,634-$7,410 $90.48-$160.71 *Includes estimated airfare, housing, some or all meals, UGA tuition and some fees. All students pay in-state tuition while on study abroad, even if classified as out-of-state. **Calculated based on actual length of least and most expensive programs on a per day basis. As you can see, the longer your program, the less the per day cost. There are also many other benefits associated with longer programs, such as better cultural integration and greater language proficiency. Plus, the majority of UGA students who only go abroad for the summer wish they could have stayed longer. Programs operated by universities or non-profit organizations also tend to be less expensive. However, you should make sure that the program you select is through an accredited college or university.

  • If I don't speak a foreign language, can I still study abroad in a non-English speaking country?

    Yes. There are many programs offered in non-English speaking countries that offer courses in English. We have created a web page of programs with major courses in English just to help you locate programs. Of course we do recommend that you enroll for a class in the host country language either before leaving or while abroad as it will undoubtedly be useful to you and enhance your enjoyment of your program.

  • How do I know my credits will fit into my degree program?

    You should discuss this with your academic advisor. You will need to meet with your advisor to have him or her fill out section 4D of the Credit Approval Form, but you may want to meet with him or her before filling out the form as well.

  • Can I use my financial aid and/or HOPE for study abroad?

    Yes you can, including study abroad through other universities. To hear more about Financial Aid and study abroad, please visit Financial Aid and Scholarships for Study Abroad. Also, be sure to make an appointment with a Financial Aid officer to let them know you are studying abroad.

  • Where do I get a copy of my financial aid award letter (or financial aid transcript)?

    You can get that from the Office of Student Financial Aid.

  • Are there scholarships available for study abroad?

    Yes there are. Please visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships for Study Abroad section of our web site.

  • How do I know if the study abroad program I've selected is good?

    You have several ways of determining the quality of a study abroad program. Although the advisors in our office are familiar with many study abroad programs, it is impossible to know them all. Therefore, we suggest that you call the program office and ask for the names of past participants who would be willing to talk to you about their experience with the program. You can also look at our notebook of student comments and of past participant contact information in the Resource Library in 113 at 1324 South Lumpkin Street. Talking to the people in the program office and/or the program director might also help you to get a feel for the people who will be running your program. You should also verify that your program is through an accredited university, or that an accredited university will offer a transcript for your program. Finally, you may find information in a book we keep in our Study Abroad Library on the best study abroad programs. However, this only touches upon 50 programs, and only 25 in great detail out of thousands of possible programs. Be aware also that what the authors of the book consider a great study abroad program may not be what you want out of your study abroad experience. The most important thing about a study abroad program is that it fits your needs.

  • Where do I go to get a UGA transcript?

    Transcripts can be obtained from the Record Services Office in the Office of the Registrar, 105 Academic Building, (706) 542-4040.

  • Is it possible for me to work in a foreign country?

    Working in a foreign country usually requires a visa. Certain programs exist to help students obtain visas. Visit the section on Work, Volunteer or Intern Abroad of our web site for more information on work abroad options. We also have materials on all types of work abroad in our Resource Library in 1113 at 1324 South Lumpkin Street, Athens, GA 30602.

  • Where should I have my study abroad transcript sent?

    After completion of your study abroad program, you should have an official, sealed transcript from your program sent to the University of Georgia, Office of International Education, 1324 South Lumpkin Street, Athens, GA 30602 in order for the transfer of credit to take place. Credits should appear on OASIS within two to three weeks of the receipt of the transcript.