All UGA faculty and staff members traveling abroad on official university business must be covered by medical evacuation and repatriation of remains insurance. However, most employees are already covered for this insurance as described below:
- As of January 1, 2003, all regular UGA employees were automatically enrolled in the MetLife Life $25,000 life insurance policy, which includes MetLife Travel Assistance. This policy includes medical evacuation & repatriation coverage, but no overseas health coverage.
- The insurance brochures, which were distributed with all the other insurance brochures before the open enrollment period, contained an ID card for the Travel Assistance policy (a tear-off one in a tri-fold brochure). All benefits eligible faculty and staff can call Travel Assistance at 800-454-3679 for more information (if outside the country, call collect 312-935-3783). If you no longer have this ID card, please contact Human Resources for another. You should carry this card with you while traveling, as it has the numbers for emergency assistance.
- More information about UGA Human Resources Benefits is available here.
- Depending on your regular health insurance plan, or if you are not a benefits-eligible employee, you may wish to purchase additional overseas health insurance. There are many options available from several companies. One such option for this coverage is the T.W. Lord Seven Stones Health Insurance for People Traveling Outside Their Home Country; more information is available here.
- Faculty and staff members and their children and spouses going abroad with a UGA study abroad program are eligible for the UGA study abroad insurance. Faculty and staff may be included on the student lists submitted to OIE for insurance orders, but coverage for spouses and children should be obtained by calling TW Lord directly at 770-427-2461.